[bksvol-discuss] The British Language

This was shared with me several years ago when i first read The Lion, the
Witch and the Wardrobe

I also know, that car's the "hood is called the "bonnet, and the trunk is
the "boot"

An elevator is a "lift" and a W.C. is a bathroom.
A napkin is a servette, as opposed to a "diaper" in their terms.

But might pose interesting reading and explain why in a lot of ways J.K.
Rowling found it necessary to have several versions of her books.

Turkish delight is a very sweet candy similar to our Divinity.

A hind (h i n d) and a hart are indeed a doe and a buck.

"Make it pax" means let's let the fight go.  "Pax" is Latin for peace.

Other British terms that used to confuse me are crisps, which are the
equivalent to American chips of the potato, corn, etc., variety; the
Tube is the subway system in London, while a British subway is the
equivalent of an American pedestrian underpass, and a flyover is
British for what would be considered an overpass here in the States.
Chips in Britain are what we call French fries.  Gammon is a ham steak.
 Biscuits are what we call cookies, and in Britain they usually come in
stacked rolls instead of bags or trays as they do here.  A scone is
what we call a biscuit, and what we call a scone they refer to as a
scone with jam.  A bap is a type of roll.  Lemonade is actually lemon
soda, while lemon squash is what we would call lemonade.  Ginger beer
is a type of soda pop, and ginger ale is surprisingly the same thing we
think of as ginger ale!  A rubber is their name for what we call an
eraser, which has led to considerable embarrassment for many a British
visitor to the States.  We have rubber bands--they call them elastics.
We wear sweaters, and they call them jumpers.  Desserts are usually
called puddings even if they aren't pudding!  What we call Jello or
gelatin they call jelly; and they don't make the distinction Americans
make between jellies, jams, and preserves.

Lemon curd is a wonderful lemon spread for use on toast; marmalade you
probably have encountered--if not, it is a jelly made of the peel of a
citrus fruit, usually orange but occasionally lemon--it tends to be
very tart and I don't like it.  Toast is usually served in a special
rack which holds the pieces upright and separated, which usually allows
them to cool before you can get them buttered--most Americans don't
like toast racks.  Unless you specify otherwise, if you ask for tea the
chances are that it will be about equal parts tea and milk when you get
it.  Blood pudding and blood sausage are really made with blood, and
they smell awful as they are cooking and taste worse, in my opinion.
Blood pudding is made of congealed blood which is cut into thin slices
and fried or grilled  and served as part of breakfast, although we were
offered it only in Yorkshire.  Yorkshire pudding is a specific type of
bread which is cooked with roasts and typically served with lamb or
roast beef with gravy poured over it.  I think it's excellent!  Bangers
and mash is sausages served with mashed potatoes, but the sausages tend
to taste bland to Americans unless they are purchased from a German
butcher.  Meals in pubs are often served with more than one variety of
prepared mustards--one pub we used to eat at in York brought out a tray
with about twenty different varieties.  English salt shakers typically
have only one usually raised hole in the center, while pepper shakers
will have two or more smaller holes.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council