[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thank You and I'm sort of Back

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

That's very interesting, Sue. What part of the country
do you live in? Or maybe it's a generational thing. I
lived in the Boston area, Long Island, upstate New
York, and Minneapolis before moving to California, and
I never knew of any meaning of "ditto" other than "the
same as above." I did look just now in the dictionary
and there are slightly different meanings, like
"similar to." The word "ditto" isn't used as often as
the punctuation mark, which is the double quotation
mark placed under the word or phrase which was just
said.

But words and their usages change, especially when
used as slang. Currently,is seems, "Bad" is often used
to mean really good in certain circles. I don't know
if "rad" or "radical" is still used to mean "really
great," but that's quite a different meaning from what
it originally meant.

Anyway I'm glad to know about the use of "ditto" to
mean "it's not important," or "of no importance." I'm
no longer working in a school situation o with kids,
so being "up" on current slang isn't as important for
me, but my husband is still teaching college kids, and
it's useful to know the current lingo.

Cindy