[bksvol-discuss] Re: Text Files

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:56:49 -0700

What is the definition of poor quality? I agree with you that we need to up the standard, but the first indication of book quality submitters get is from the automated system. No one answered my question as to how books are rated by the automated system. Those numbers have to be known, since they had to be programmed in there in the first place. Whatever those category assignment cutoffs are, perhaps they need to be notched up a bit so that submitters get a more accurate rating of low-quality books. But that notching up will have to go through some kind of process I imagine to decide what percentage of accuracy constitutes Excellent, what counts as Good, etc. Clearly, those cutoffs are too low at present. How bad does a book have to be before it is considered unacceptable by the automated system? Is there even a contingency for such books?

Obviously, you and I know poor quality when we see it, but if submitters get a Fair or even Good rating on submissions, and those ratings are not changed, then they will continue to submit books that they may very well think are at least Fair and perhaps even good. If you are the kind of person who is blasé about scan quality, but when you submit a book it gets a rating by that system of Fair or even Good, why would you quit doing it? It is certainly possible that some people are knowingly submitting junk, but I would venture to guess that there are many who think they are doing a good job when they are in fact not because the only feedback they get is from the automated rating system. They don't interact with validators, and so may not know what kinds of problems they need to work on.