[bksvol-discuss] Re: Table Of Contents

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:15:12 -0600

Great points, Roger. One of my friends has a child with Down Syndrome. They've used certain kinds of visual stimulation in terms of specific patterns and designs to help stimulate development of certain neurons that don't develop otherwise in their neurological "wiring." So what you're talking about here is right on target, from what I've learned.

Judy s.
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
I will defer to your explanation because it is just as good if not better than any one I might come up with, but I doubt that it is just a matter of how sighted people are trained. The question can be asked, why are there tables in the first place. I think it has something to do with the way visual information is processed by the brain. That is, it is in the wiring. There are certain kinds of information that can be processed a lot more quickly with just a very brief glance when it is presented in a form with the spaces and arrangement that is found in a table. A similar thing can be said about bar graphs and pie charts for relaying the concept of comparative proportions that could still be explained in a narrative form. That is, the narrative can be used to explain the same information, but you have to think about it to get it as opposed to just glancing and getting it instantly. It is another example of a picture, even though a table is not quite a picture, being worth a thousand words. And even though a table is not a picture, it does have a visual form that informs in a similar, if crude, manner that a picture does.