[bksvol-discuss] Re: Table Of Contents

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 11:34:21 -0600

Interesting that you bring this up, Melissa. Doug just worked on a book that the title of contents literally had periods between the chapter titles and the page they started on and we were wondering if that would be allowable in general. It would be more than three (an ellipsis), but it could preserve the structure of the title of content. As always, we want to maintain the integrity of not altering text, but it does seem that the BookShare tool already significantly alters things, so this might be an acceptable accommodation to preserve the visual integrity for sighted readers.

Valerie

On 11 03, 2009, at 7:07 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:

I've been thinking about Valerye's concerns about the table of contents. I got to thinking about how Braille books have a series of dots between the chapter title and page number. So, I was wondering if inserting an ellipses between the chapter title and page number would be an appropriate solution. An ellipses will be recognized and kept by bookshare's tools, and will give some separation between chapter title and page number for those that need that. It wouldn't be spoken by most screen readers, so wouldn't interfere with anybody's listening pleasure. Finally, since Braille readers are used to the series of dots between chapter title and page number, it wouldn't seem unusual to them either. So, do you think this would be acceptable and not violate any bookshare rules?

Melissa