[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:51:24 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "Old Wine, Broken Bottle: Ari Shavit's
Promised Land" by Norman G. Finkelstein.

It's been read and spell-checked. All headers stripped, page numbers/chapter
titles present/protected, footnotes formatted, fonts adjusted.

100 pages.

MY PROMISED LAND by Haaretz journalist Ari Shavit has been one of the most
widely discussed and lavishly praised books about Israel in recent years. It
has garnered encomiums from a broad spectrum of influential voices and
publications.

Were he not already inured to the logrolling that passes for informed
opinion on this topic, Norman Finkelstein might have been surprised,
astonished even. That's because, as he reveals with typical precision, My
Promised Land is riddled with omissions, distortions, and falsehoods.

In brief chapters that analyze Shavit's defense of Zionism and Israel's
Jewish identity, its nuclear arsenal and its refusal to negotiate peace,
Finkelstein shows how highly selective criticism and sanctimonious hand-
wringing are deployed to create a paean to modern Israel more sophisticated
than the traditional our-country-right-or-wrong. In this way, Shavit hopes
to win back an American Jewish community increasingly alienated from a place
it once regarded as home.

Like his landmark debunking of Joan Peters's From Time Immemorial,
Finkelstein's clinical dissection of My Promised Land will be welcomed by
those who prefer truth to propaganda, and who yearn for a resolution of the
Israel-Palestine conflict based on justice, rather than arguments framed by
anguish and schmaltz.

Deborah