[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:22:15 -0500

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "Pacifism As Pathology: Reflections on the
Role of Armed Struggle in North America" by Ward Churchill.

It's been read w/headers stripped, page numbers/chapter titles present,
text/headings/footnotes formatted. 193 pages.

"This extraordinarily important book cuts to the heart of one of the central
reasons movements to bring about social and environmental justice always
fail.  The fundamental question here is: is violence ever an acceptable tool
to help bring about social change? This is probably the most important
question of our time, yet so often discussions around it fall into clichés
and magical thinking: that somehow if we are merely good and nice enough
people, the state will stop using its violence to exploit us all.  Would
that this were true. "-Derrick Jensen, author ofEndgame,from the
introduction.  Pacifism, the ideology of nonviolent political resistance,
has been the norm among mainstream North American progressive groups for
decades.  But to what end? Ward Churchill challenges the pacifist movement?s
heralded victories-Gandhi in India, 1960s antiwar activists, even Martin
Luther King?s civil rights movement-suggesting that their success was in
spite of, rather than because of, their nonviolent tactics. Pacifism as
Pathology was written as a response not only to Churchill?s frustration with
his own activist experience, but also to a debate raging in the activist and
academic communities.  He argues that pacifism is in many ways
counterrevolutionary; that it defends the status quo, and doesn?t lead to
social change.  In these times of upheaval and global protest, this is a
vital and extremely relevant book.

Deborah