[bksvol-discuss] Submitted for Proofreading: "The Stormchasers", by Jenna Blum

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:37:51 -0500

Hi, All.

I have just submitted for proofing, "The Stormchasers", by Jenna Blum.
Synopsis and my submission comments are below. As I indicate in the
comments, this should be a very easy proof. Any questions, don't hesitate to
get in touch with me; maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, and the synopsis/comments are below my signature.

Best,

Maria

Long Synopsis:

Twins are forced to confront a violent secret from their past in Jenna
Blum's first novel since her runaway bestseller, Those Who Save Us. How far
would you go to protect a sibling - and at what cost to yourself? In Those
Who Save Us, Jenna Blum proved herself a master storyteller with brilliant
insight into the spectrum of human emotion. Now, Blum turns her sights to
the most intimate and mysterious of family relationships - that between
twins - in her powerful and provocative second novel. As a teenager, Karena
Jorge had always been the one to look out for her twin brother Charles, who
suffers from bipolar disorder. But as Charles begins to refuse medication
and his manic tendencies worsen, Karena finds herself caught between her
loyalty to her brother and her fear for his life. Always obsessed with the
weather - enraptured by its magical unpredictability that seemed to mirror
his own impulses - Charles starts chasing storms, and his behavior grows
increasingly erratic. . . until a terrifying storm chase with Karena ends
with deadly consequences, tearing the twins apart and changing both of their
lives forever. Two decades later, Karena gets a call from a psychiatric ward
in Wichita, Kansas, to come pick up her brother, whom she hasn't seen or
spoken to for twenty years. She soon discovers that Charles has lied to the
doctors, taken medication that could make him dangerously manic, and
disappeared again. Having exhausted every resource to try and track him
down, Karena realizes she has only one last chance of finding him: the
storms. Wherever the tornadoes are, that's where he'll be. Karena joins a
team of professional stormchasers - passionate adventurers who will
transform her life and give her a chance at love and redemption - and
embarks on an odyssey to find her brother before he reveals the violent
secret from their past and does more damage to himself. . . or to someone
else.

Comments:

I don't believe that this book needs to be designated with adult content. I
have done all of the proofreading steps in Chapter 4 of the Scanning and
Proofreading Manual and have read the book, so unless I have missed
something, this should be a quick and easy proof which can just be read
through. When scanning in K1000, I enabled OCR corrections using the default
Corrections file, had end-of-line hyphens automatically removed, and I ran
Rank Spelling on the scan and fixed anything which needed fixing. I have
also looked through the words flagged by the Bookshare Spell Checker and
fixed what actually seemed to need fixing; most of what that spell check
caught were contractions and slang, a few meteorological terms, and much
onomonopoeia. Note that this book does have *lots* of onomonopoeia, which
should all be written correctly unless I missed something. Any questions,
email me at maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Copyright page is below for the
administrators: DUTTON Published by Penguin Group (USA) Inc. 375 Hudson
Street, New York, New York 10014, U.S.A. Penguin Group (Canada), 90 Eglinton
Avenue East, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario M4P 2Y3, Canada (a division of
Pearson Penguin Canada Inc.); Penguin Books Ltd, 80 Strand, London WC2R ORL,
England; Penguin Ireland, 25 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland (a
division of Penguin Books Ltd); Penguin Group (Australia), 250 Camberwell
Road, Camberwell, Victoria 3124, Australia (a division of Pearson Australia
Group Pty Ltd); Penguin Books India Pvt Ltd, 11 Community Centre, Panchsheel
Park, New Delhi-110 017, India; Penguin Group (NZ), 67 Apollo Drive,
Rosedale, North Shore 0632, New Zealand (a division of Pearson New Zealand
Ltd); Penguin Books (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd, 24 Sturdee Avenue, Rosebank,
Johannesburg 2196, South Africa Penguin Books Ltd, Registered Offices: 80
Strand, London WC2R ORL, England Published by Dutton, a member of Penguin
Group (USA) Inc. First printing, June 2010 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Copyright C
2010 by Jenna Blum All rights reserved REGISTERED TRADEMARK--MARCA
REGISTRADA LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CATALOGING-IN-PUBLICATION DATA Blum, Jenna.
The stormchasers : a novel / by Jenna Blum. p. cm. ISBN 978-0-525-95155-1 1.
Twins--Fiction. 2. Brothers and sisters--Fiction. 3. Manic-depressive
illness--Fiction. 4. Storm chasers--Fiction. I. Title. PS3602.L863S76 2010
813'.6--dc22 2010012471 Printed in the United States of America PUBLISHER'S
NOTE This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and
incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used
fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead,
business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this
publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval
system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic,
mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), without the prior
written permission of both the copyright owner and the above publisher of
this book. The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the
Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is
illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic
editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of
copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.