[bksvol-discuss] Re: Submitted BSO: The Rise of Endymion

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 23:12:56 -0500

Evan, those are all great points.

Just because a book is in the collection from an outsourcer doesn't mean that it isn't eligible to be replaced by a BSO from a volunteer -- for exactly the reasons you gave here.

Judy s.

EVAN REESE wrote:
That all sounds good except for three things:
Firstly, I wonder if the rescanners--in this case outsourcers?--would have noticed the equations I mentioned in my post, and what would they have done with them? And would the poetry have been formatted correctly or not? Secondly, I wanted to read the book anyway, and I would have had no idea as to when Bookshare would have gotten to it. Thirdly, I know what quality I can produce by doing my own scanning and then reading the book in its entirety, checking anything questionable with my Optacon--which means that I don't have to guess what a scannoe is supposed to be. So I can be certain that the book was really read through and completely corrected--except for misprints such as the inconsistent spelling of names that I mentioned, which I had to leave in of course. In several cases that I have noticed, it was evident that the outsourcers did not read through their scans. So, unless they've changed their modus operandi, or unless Bookshare made sure to give the book to someone who would actually read through it, I am highly confident that my BSO is at least as good, probably better, than theirs would have been.

Evan