[bksvol-discuss] Submission

Hi all,

I've just submitted "Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating" by Mark
Bittman.

It's been read completely, headers stripped and page numbers and chapter
titles protected.
There are sidebars that I isolated and labelled as sidebars. The more than
75 recipes have been verified and all scanning errors of measurements have
been fixed.
326 pages.

From the book jacket:
From the award-winning champion of culinary simplicity who gave us the
bestsellingHow to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
comes Food Matters, a plan for responsible eating that's as good for the
planet as it is for your weight and your health. We are finally starting to
acknowledge the threat carbon emissions pose to our ozone layer, but few
people have focused on the extent to which our consumption of meat
contributes to global warming. Think about it this way: In terms of energy
consumption, serving a typical family-of-four steak dinner is the rough
equivalent of driving around in an SUV for three hours while leaving all the
lights on at home. Bittman offers a no-nonsense rundown on how government
policy, big business marketing, and global economics influence what we
choose to put on the table each evening. He demystifies buzzwords like
"organic," "sustainable," and "local" and offers straightforward,
budget-conscious advice that will help you make small changes that will
shrink your carbon footprint -- and your waistline. Flexible, simple, and
non-doctrinaire, the plan is based on hard science but gives you plenty of
leeway to tailor your food choices to your lifestyle, schedule, and level of
commitment. Bittman, a food writer who loves to eat and eats out frequently,
lost thirty-five pounds and saw marked improvement in his blood levels by
simply cutting meat and processed foods out of two of his three daily meals.
But the simple truth, as he points out, is that as long as you eat more
vegetables and whole grains, the result will be better health for you and
for the world in which we live. Unlike most things that are virtuous and
healthful, Bittman's plan doesn't involve sacrifice. From Spinach and Sweet
Potato Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing to Breakfast Bread Pudding, the
recipes in Food Matters are flavorful and sophisticated. A month's worth of
meal plans shows you how Bittman chooses to eat and offers proof of how
satisfying a mindful and responsible diet can be. Cheaper, healthier, and
socially sound,Food Matters represents the future of American eating.

Deborah