[bksvol-discuss] Submission

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:51:24 -0800

Dear Bookshare friends,

I have just submitted "The Painted Drum" by Louise Erdrich.

In completing this submission, I have verified all the Indian words, and
unusual phrases such as "The clouds boomed" and "O.D. blue".  Also, I did all
the things I do in validating a book--protected chapter names and page numbers,
read through the complete book and ran a spellcheck.

It should be a simple validation.  But, I would like to ask a favor.  Because I
am fairly new at validating, I would appreciate feedback from the validator
about anythng I could do differently when validating books.  In other words,
please look at this submitted book as an already  validated book and give me
any feedback.

My email is
loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Below I have pasted information about the book that appears on the fly leaf.

Thanks in advance to the validator.

Cat Lover Lori
a woman named Faye Travers is called upon to appraise the estate of a family in
her small New Hampshire town, she isn't surprised to discover a forgotten cache
of valuable Native American artifacts. After all, the family descends from an
Indian agent who worked on the North Dakota Ojibwe reservation that is home to
her mother's family. However, she stops dead in her tracks when she finds in
the collection a rare drum-a powerful yet delicate object, made from a massive
moose skin stretched across a hollow of cedar, ornamented with symbols she
doesn't recognize and dressed in red tassels and a beaded belt and
skirt-especially since, without touching the instrument, she hears it sound.

From Faye's discovery, we trace the drum's passage both backward and forward in
time, from the reservation on the northern plains to New Hampshire and back.
Through the voice of Bernard Shaawano, an Ojibwe, we hear how his grandfather
fashioned the drum after years of mourning his young daughter's death, and how
it changes the lives of those whose paths its crosses. And through Faye we hear
of her anguished relationship with a local sculptor, who himself mourns the
loss of a daughter, and of the life she has made alone with her mother, in the
shadow of the death of Faye's sister.