[bksvol-discuss] Submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:46:03 -0500

Hi all,

Just submitted for validation Howard Zinn's new book, A Power Governments
Cannot Suppress.

It's all cleaned up and should be a quick validation. Here's the info from
the book jacket...

In A Power Governments Cannot Suppress, Howard Zinn
unlocks America's current political/ethical crisis using
lessons learned from our nation's history. He brings a
profoundly human, yet uniquely American perspective to
each subject he writes about, whether it's the abolition
of war, terrorism, the Founding Fathers, the Holocaust,
or immigrants' rights. "America's future is linked to
how we understand our past," writes Zinn, "For this
reason, writing about history, for me, is never a
neutral act."
Zinn frames the book with an opening essay on the role
and responsibility of the historian: "To think that
history-writing must aim simply to recapitulate the
failures that dominate the past is to make historians
collaborators in an endless cycle of defeat.... If
history is to be creative, to anticipate a possible
future without denying the past, it should, I believe,
emphasize new possibilities by disclosing those hidden
episodes of the past when, even if in brief flashes,
people showed their ability to resist, to join together,
and occasionally win. I am supposing, or perhaps only
hoping, that our future may be found in the past's
fugitive moments of compassion rather than in its solid
centuries of warfare."
Zinn draws upon these untold histories to comment on the
most controversial issues facing us today: government
dishonesty, terrorism, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,
the loss of our liberties, immigration, and the
responsibility of the citizen to confront power for the
common good.

Enjoy...
Deb