[bksvol-discuss] Re: Stripping headers

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 19:20:13 -0500

It's not my scanner that eliminates the headers but my software. Omnipage
can "automatically" eliminate the headers (it scans them but doesn't OCR
them) but I don't trust too many "automatic" things and still prefer to
select the text myself. You're right, a blind scanner could not do this. But
we are getting more and more sighted scanners, so I wanted to throw it out
there so the info is available.

I either double click (and usually Omnipage will select the text I want) or
draw a box around the text I want to OCR.  Double clicking is faster but
Omnipage doesn't always guess correctly and sometimes I still have to
manually draw the box. That helps a lot in not getting the junk characters
from the inside margin and outside marrgins too.

It takes more time and the draw back is having to put in page numbers
manually (sometimes if page numbers are scanning well I just eliminate the
other header info and leave the number in, but they don't always scan well)
but I find I get better scans with this method than when I used to take them
out by hand.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Lucy in the Sky by Paige Toon

See everything I've read this year at: www.michrxtech.com/books.html