[bksvol-discuss] Re: Strange occurence Possibly lost a file

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 13:27:54 -0500

Yes, I know. It was actually all that day's work, otherwise I would have had a backup.

Melissa Smith

On 5/16/2010 1:19 PM, Debby Franson wrote:
Hi Melissa!

I don't know how to solve your problem, but this is why a person should have a backup of each day's work, doing a save as at the beginning of a proofing session so that you might have to go back and do a day's work over rather than doing the proofing from day one again as you might have to do. Bad things can happen any time, as you have discovered.

Debby

At 11:59 AM 5/15/2010, Melissa Smith wrote
I was doing some proofing this morning. I was about half way through this book. All of a sudden my screen read quit talking. I started narrator, to get out of the pickle. Well, I opened the Windows Task Manager, and was going to end Window-Eyes, so I could reopen it and continue. I couldn't find it in the list. I went back into Word and saved the file, and closed it, trying to get out of everything and see what was going on. It saved fine. Once I got Window-Eyes running again, and reopened the file I was proofing, there were strange things in the file. It was still the 228 pages of the original file, but none of the original text was there, as far as I could tell, anyways. All I could hear was something about MakeYourMoveProofingCopy.rtf running and Make Your Move running followed by several blank lines, a page break, several blank lines, and something about the cpu usage. Did I totally lose my work? I have the original file, and can start over, but I would really, really prefer not to. Any ideas what happened, and what, if anything I can do to fix it?
Thanks,

--
Melissa Smith

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>