[bksvol-discuss] Re: Step 2 page form questions

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:18:48 -0800 (PST)

Yep, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is the copyright holder.  The Star Wars
books in the collection have Lucasfilm, Ltd as their copyright holder, and I've
seen Twentieth Century Fox as the copyright holder on some novelizations based
on their movies.  I'd guess maybe 3/4 of the books I see have the author as the
copyright holder, but there are lots of variations.  I'm editing 2 <something>
for Dummies books now, and their 2 copyright holders are not the authors, but
Hungry Minds, Inc. who's the publisher too. Just use the name next to the
latest copyright date (if there are multiple dates) and you'll be fine.

  Good luck, Rik!  Carrie

Rik James <d28rik@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Thanks, Tom.
The one book with the Metro-Goldwyn copyright had this on the page:

& © 1999 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. All rights reserved. The Outer
Limits is a trademark of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., and is licensed
by MGM Consumer Products.

The submitter had I assumed put that in the copyright form, or maybe a
Bookshare staff? I don't know. But having only submitted books before this
week, it was the first I had ever run into it. The books I had scanned and
submitted had always listed copyright to auther.

And yes, I do know it is critical. And thanks for your help.
I hope I will gain experience and knowledge and be able to figure out things
better and be most accurate.

Rik