[bksvol-discuss] Re: Sincere apologies for Bookshare website performance

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

ThNka, Sue. You're right. I'm going to ask Fred Slone.

TinyURL.com/752cyrs

>________________________________

but whether or not he got a permanent job with Bookshare I can’t tell you.
I haven’t seen any posts from him in a long time.

>Sue S.

off list, or have h im write me off list if he's on the engineering
team
>Unfortunately I don't remember his name, but he was a volunteer
several years ago and I think was majoring in  something that would qualify
him to work on your engineering team.  He may have been at the U. of Ill.
or Indiana;all I remember is that he hoped to go to Chicago for a spring break.
we had a nice correpondence. I'd be happy to hear that he's working for
bookshare.

>Cindy
>Join us in celebrating our 10th Anniversary!
>
>TinyURL.com/752cyrs
>

>>________________________________

  and for the update.

  Message-----
  Fred Slone
>>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Sincere apologies for Bookshare
  website
>>performance
>>
>>Good morning everyone,
>>
>>I wanted to take a
  moment and offer a sincere apology for the challenges
>>many of you have
  faced in working with the Bookshare site as volunteers.
>>Please do know that
  we are aware that we are still have more than a little
>>work to do in
  getting the website performance where we would like for
>>volunteer
  submissions and checkout.  We are so grateful for all of the
>>wonderful
  work that each of you do as volunteers and we know that your time
>>is
  valuable and wasting it on an under-performing website is more than
>>little irritating.  We have been talking over the issues with
  our
>>Engineering team for several months now and they are also trying to
  find
>>solutions.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I do not have a quick or easy answer
  for you (yet).  Our
>>relatively small number of engineers is being
  pulled in many, many
>>directions and face a very difficult balancing act of
  which priorities to
>>work on and the website fixes are not necessarily quick
  or easy.  As soon as
>>I have more definitive answers, Alisa or I will
  make sure that you are all
>>the first to know.
>>
>>It kills me to read
  the heartfelt notes from volunteers who have worked so
>>hard on a book and
  then run into a performance snafu on our site.  If we
>>could beg your
  patience and indulgence for a bit longer, we will/are trying
>>to find a fix,
  even if a bit at a time.  The work you do makes a difference
>>for
  Bookshare members all over the country and many times, you may not
  even
>>know who you have helped.  So, if you will forgive us our
  "faults" in this
>>area, we hope to continue to see your books submitted for
  many years to
>>come, we wouldn't be the same without
  you.

>>Regards,
>>Fred Slone
>>Director of
  Operations
>>Bookshare
>>Phone:  (650) 644-3420
>>Email:  freds@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>www.bookshare.org
>>
>>Join us in celebrating our 10th
  Anniversary!

>>To unsubscribe from this list send a blank
  Email to
>>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>put
  the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list
  of
>>available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
  line.

>>-----
>>No virus found in this message.
>>Version:
  2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2411/4953 - Release Date: 04/22/12

  unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>put
  the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
  available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
  line.

>No virus found in this
message.
Database: 2411/4955 - Release Date: 04/23/12