[bksvol-discuss] Sincere apologies for Bookshare website performance

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to take a moment and offer a sincere apology for the challenges many
of you have faced in working with the Bookshare site as volunteers.  Please do
know that we are aware that we are still have more than a little work to do in
getting the website performance where we would like for volunteer submissions
and checkout.  We are so grateful for all of the wonderful work that each of
you do as volunteers and we know that your time is valuable and wasting it on
an under-performing website is more than a little irritating.  We have been
talking over the issues with our Engineering team for several months now and
they are also trying to find solutions.

Unfortunately, I do not have a quick or easy answer for you (yet).  Our
relatively small number of engineers is being pulled in many, many directions
and face a very difficult balancing act of which priorities to work on and the
website fixes are not necessarily quick or easy.  As soon as I have more
definitive answers, Alisa or I will make sure that you are all the first to
know.

It kills me to read the heartfelt notes from volunteers who have worked so hard
on a book and then run into a performance snafu on our site.  If we could beg
your patience and indulgence for a bit longer, we will/are trying to find a
fix, even if a bit at a time.  The work you do makes a difference for Bookshare
members all over the country and many times, you may not even know who you have
helped.  So, if you will forgive us our "faults" in this area, we hope to
continue to see your books submitted for many years to come, we wouldn't be the
same without you.

Regards,
Fred Slone
Director of Operations