[bksvol-discuss] Re: Self-validation

  • From: Nolan Crabb <aa3go@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:23:56 -0700

Rui warned against the urge to self validate. I completely concur!

I've made a living editing my work and that of others for years. The harsh truth is, your own errors are much easier to miss, even if you've let that book sit up there and cool its digital heels for days. I guess the urge to self validate is a natural one, since people get submission credits and such that will help them pay for next year's subscription. I have a Kate Wilhelm mystery that's been up there for some time now, and I want very much to just validate the thing and get the credits and more importantly, get it up there so others can enjoy it. But I won't. I'm too aware of how easy it is to skip errors in things you've either written or read. I think the checks and balances that exist here--the ones that encourage others to validate what you've submitted--are the way it should work. I realize others will challenge my position, suggesting that self validation is absolutely the only way some of the more esoteric titles will get approved. I disagree. The first book I ever validated was a Christian romance--decidedly not, not, not something I would normally want to read under any circumstances. Oddly enough, that's precisely the reason I chose it. I figured the material would be so new and different to me that I'd be more prone to catch errors. That book entered the Bookshare system with a "good" rating presumably provided by the submitter. I spent some time with the book, but today it carries an "excellent" rating, and it's now part of the collection.

Please try not to misinterpret this, folks. I don't use it as an example to demonstrate how amazing I am. Very nearly all of you have been at the submission and validation end of this far longer than have I, and you're doubtless the ultimate experts, having forgotten more in a day than I will learn in years. I just find self validation a little scary, especially in light of rather strong messages lately which have called for higher quality scans and validations. There's no doubt we achieve higher quality validations if we don't do them ourselves.

The quarterly magazine I edit goes through no fewer than four different edits before it ever sees the inside of our subscribers' mailboxes. I'm not advocating for absolute rigid perfection; we are volunteers, after all, who have lives. But self validation is an excellent way to increase the number of potential errors into the system.

So that I don't totally come across here as being the loud mouthed whiner on the list, here's a little proposal: If you have a book that's been up there quite a while, I'll take yours and validate it, regardless of the subject or whatever, if you take mine and get it approved. It's called "The Casebook of Constance and Charlie Vol. 1," and it's 614 pages, so I'm sure that's discouraged more than one person from taking it. Obviously, this is one of those first-come first-accepted challenges. <smile>

Again, I'm not desirous of offending any here. But in light of recent messages that have called for higher standards in terms of better quality scans and better validations, redoubling our resolve to let others validate our work is probably one good way to ensure the increased quality of the collection.

Best Regards,

Nolan, who is dawning his fire-retardant e-mail-reading suit in preparation for all that indignant mail from self validators :-)