[bksvol-discuss] Re: Section break page break

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:40:25 -0800 (PST)

Sue, I'm not Tom, but -- I started to explain but
googled to be sure I was correct in thinking it's used
in Spanish and I found this wonderful definition--"A
diacritical mark ( ~ ) placed over the letter n in
Spanish to indicate the palatal nasal sound (ny), as
in cañon, or over a vowel in Portuguese to indicate
nasalization, as in lã, pão."  (I didn't know it was
used in Portuguese). I think Tom described it as an
elongated s lying on its side.

A grave accent is the reverse of the acute accent, i.e
it' slants left and the acute slants right.

I just noticed that on my keyboard the key to the left
of the number one has a tilde at the top and the grave
symbol (BTW, Tom--you did spell it correctly--but Sue,
it's pronouced grahv)  symbol at the bottom. It's used
in both  French and other languages--I can't remember
if it's used much in Spanish, but I  googled again and
found it's in Italian and other languages, too.

Cindy