[bksvol-discuss] Science fiction and fantasy catagories

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:16:22 -0600

Ann, I have to disagree with you on this one. smile. Even the premier magazine for the science fiction publishing industry and its authors, Locus, still uses the term Sci-Fi, as well as the terms "science fiction" and SF. They're interchangeable, although Sci-Fi is used less often than in the past. It's a matter of personal preference which one you use. smile.

The fantasy genre has grown up into its own catagory nowadays, but are still often lumped together. smile. Authors and books cross the line between SF and fantasy constantly, sometimes even within a book. Also, prestigious awards for the two genres, such as the Hugo award, often lump science fiction and fantasy together. For example, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" won the 2000 Hugo award, which is most often awarded to a pure science fiction novel.

Judy s., who once upon a time long long ago in a galaxy far far away was a teaching assistant for a series of Sci-Fi, SF, and/or science fiction courses at a Big Ten University.

Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Carrie, I hate to be a stickler, really I do, but Sci-Fi is only used by the uninitiated, The correct title of the Genre is Science Fiction, please. Calling it Sci-Fi is demeaning it.