[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning tips

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 20:49:02 -0400

I think they discontinued the Reading Edge machines because they were bulky and expensive to maintain. Users seemed to want a PC-based or portable machine rather than a large, freestanding unit. Oddly enough, a couple of companies are making some sort of new machine for reading because they're realizing that there is still a need for a simple, intuitive reading machine for certain parts of the blind community.

As for scanning large pages as you've described, AGFA makes a scanner that will hold those pages. The catch is that their scanners are expensive, starting at arounf $499 I think. They're industrial-strength scanners that businesses use, so they work fast and can hold a lot of paper too.