[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Software Question

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:43:45 -0400

Hi Monica,
Do you know if those engines work with Vista?

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Monica Willyard"
             <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning
                                       Software Question
             07/30/2008 05:40
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Hi, Jim. There is actually a very affordable way to begin scanning
books if you already have a scanner. In fact, you can use this tip to
start scanning books with a quality like Jim Baugh or Carrie Karnos.
FineReader 7, which is two versions back from the current one, is a
very accessible and affordable option. You can buy it affordably on
Ebay and from other online vendors that sell used or older software.
FineReader 7 was the primary engine used in Kurzweil 10 and is what
produced many of the excellent books in our collection. In fact, we
still have several volunteers submitting books scanned with this
engine.

FineReader 8 is yet another good choice, though it is somewhat less
accessible until you switch it to the classic interface. That version
of FineReader is what we have in Kurzweil 11. You can find it on Ebay
too. Both versions 7 and 8 work well with Jaws. I can't speak for
other screenreaders.

FineReader 9 is not accessible for speech users, so I wouldn't
recommend buying it. It's also kind of expensive too.

I'd love to see you start scanning books. It feels good when you have
the power to grab a book you really want to read and scan it. You
don't have to ask anyone or wait for weeks to read the book. Please
email me if I can help you get going. I'm cheering for you. (smile)

--
Monica Willyard