[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanners and OCR software. Again. Still.

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:39:21 -0400

Hi Tammy. The OpticBook has a book edge which means that you can slide a
book against it, and it will scan all the way into the binding of a book. It
is very fast and comfortable for working with thick books, books with text
close to the binding, or with hardcover books. Scanning single pages with
the book edge is its strength. You don't need to press down hard on books to
make them scan well. It's a major improvement if scanning on a traditional
scanner gives you shoulder, neck, or arm pain. You can scan small paperbacks
in two-page mode if you prefer. You just can't use the book edge feature in
two-page mode. If you are blind and decide to buy an OpticBook, please don't
waste money on the Plus or Corporate models since those are the same scanner
as the 3600 but have fancier software. Unless you can see or have a lot of
usable sight, the OpticBook software doesn't work with speech. The blind
volunteers who use it do so with either Kurzweil, FineReader, Omnipage, or
Openbook. So if you are blind, buying either the Opticbook 3600 or the
legal-sized version makes sense, but buying the Plus model just wastes your
money. Of course, if you can see, just ignore what I just said. (smile)

I hope this makes sense. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Monica Willyard