[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rumors of My Greatly Exaggerated....

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 04:30:59 -0400

Dear Scott,

I feel fortunate that you'll be continuing to work with us. You not only keep us informed about things we might not even know to ask about, but you answer our questions forthrightly. A comment you made in one of your posts was to admit you weren't in the know in the particulars of proofreading and scanning. Your honesty was refreshing, but still more encouraging, it appears you're keeping an open mind as you learn about our volunteer tasks, with all our limitless combinations of various programs and assistive devices

As a braille reader, I'm extremely relieved and encouraged to see that you consider braille readers' needs as well as those of sighted users. In handicapped groups, blindness is always the smallest minority, and braille readers a smaller minority yet. For that reason, in most organizations which serve sighted as well as blind users, we have seen our needs given less attention and our services become a fringe concern causing the quality of our material to decline. So far, Bookshare has not neglected the needs of its braille readers. I trust you'll continue to keep the needs of all users in mind as you participate in Bookshare's evolution.

With patience and ingenuity, I feel books can be formatted to meet the needs of visual, auditory and braille readers, as long as all groups are considered to be important.

With Pavi's TLC and your "will do now or soonest," approach to problem identification and solving, we volunteers are getting the kind of encouragement and practical help which will support us and inspire us to do more and better work.

Given my long association with Bookshare, I know 6 months can be over in a flash, but given what I know about you thus far, you'll use the time to make substantial contributions to the book preparation process.

It appears Bookshare notices the movers and shakers on their staff and among their volunteers and has the foresight to hang on to them. For example, they elevated Carrie Karnos from volunteer to a staff member who does the work of many. She, for one, is a wonderful roll model. They also hired Jake, who used to explain computer complexities to volunteers on the lists who were computer challenged as I am, as well as to the experts among us who understand the zeros and ones of computer brains and the soft and hard ware and all the wares in between. They also Hired Mayrie, Rennee, scanner and proofreader extraordinaire, who proves daily that blind people can scan and proof just about everything from cartoons to hieroglyphics, speedily, accurately, and without complaining about adding steps to make books better.

You wasted no time influencing Bookshare for the good. I hope you'll find the next six months pleasantly challenging and fulfilling and that you'll be buoyed by a justified sense of accomplishment.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Rains" <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>