[bksvol-discuss] Royalties

  • From: Dilsiaa@xxxxxxx
  • To: BksVol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:51:50 EDT

Hi fellas:

I absolutely agree with Rui and Donna Smith, since I became a volunteer in
Bookshare I bought more books that ever to scan and put in Bookshare.
I bought Time's Traveler's Wife because I saw it recommended in the list,
otherwise I wouldn't ever knew about it.

And what about a practice that are being done lately, the thing is to leave
your book somewhere to someone else to find, when you find it you register it
at a website, I don't remember the name, it is called "to free a book".

Dilsia

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes
From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:41:13 -0500

Here, here!!!
Eric Flint,  editor in chief at Baen Books will definitely agree with you.
Please see his excellent editorial articles, called Prime Palavers at:
http://www.baen.com/library
He argues quite eloquently that his royalty revenue has increased because
of free etext.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Rui Cabral" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
06/10/2004 11:22 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

Hi Everyone:
I know this won't sound politically correct, but oh well.
If we as blind individuals happen to be getting an "advantage" over our
sited bretheron when it comes to books, then so be it.

I am not a member, I am just a volunteer. in fact i'm not much in to
reading.  What attracted me to bookshare was the concept of making
thousands
of books available to people who want them.
Up to this point, i have been vallidating, but now that i have my new pc,
can take my epson 1660 out of the box and start scanning the boatload of
books my girlfriend has *smile*

I have seen publishers make money off bookkshare if anything. My sister
and
brother-in-law are both members and they have purchased a couple of
hundred
dollars of books,  some of which they probably bought for the expressed
purpose of scanning.

By the way, nothing says that some sited people don't borrow books from a
library, use $99 off-the-shelf OCR software to scan them and they
themselves
now have a harddrive full of library books.

Finally, I think Donna Smith put it best, she said:
"I don't think they are losing any more money from us than they do from
their average customers.  My
friend who is sighted walks into a book store, purchases a book for
$10.50,
takes it home and reads it.  Then she passes it along to a friend, who
passes it along to a friend, and it changes hands any number of times
before
it finally ends up in a used book sale, where someone else pays $4 for it,
takes it home and reads it, gives it to a friend, etc.  I buy the same
book
for $10.50, bring it home, spend several hours scanning it, someone else
spends more hours validating it, and then it is available for sharing
around
via BookShare to those who meet the criteria.  I don't think we're having
negative impact on the market.  In fact, I have purchased many more books
since becoming a member of BookShare and learning that others share my
interests."
--end of quote

For me, its all about access. And I will continue to do what I can.

-- Rui