[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rich Text Format

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 00:35:25 -0400

Bud, Shelly, Et al,

It's not necessary to remove the layout info from the file.  However, if you
really wish to and then save the setting to default, you can do the
following:

The following steps assume that you are already in K1K.

1.  Go to the settings menu, "alt+s."
2.  Press "g" for general.
3.  Once in the "general" dialog box, press "alt+o" to get to the layout
information retention option.
4.  Use your up and down arrow keys or the spacebar to change the setting.
5.  Press the enter key to exit the dialog box.
6.  Go to the settings menu, "alt+s."
7.  Press "v" to get to the "save settings" dialog.
8.  Use the up and down arrow keys to choose the appropriate settings file.
If you have not saved another setting file before, the only option available
to you will be the "default" file.  If you wish to save your settings in
another file, just type the name of the file and press enter.  K1K will save
your settings in either the default file or a new file, depending on how you
made your selection.

Shelly, the automatic hyphin removal works well.  There are a few things you
should keep in mind, however, when using it.  The technolog is not perfected
yet.  The auto hyphin removal works in conjunction with the OCR package
you've chosen.  Finereader has a better hyphin remover than RTK.  At this
time, the engine does a farely accurate job with end-of-line words splits
accept those words that span across pages.  For instance, the word
"international" might appear spanned as "inter-" at the end of one page and
"national" at the beginning of the next page.  K1K 9.0 will resolve this
problem.  FineReader 7.0 engine does an excellent job regarding this.

For now, you have to search for the "- " or "-\n" to find the renegade
instances of end-of-page word splits.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have questions.

 Pratik

Pratik Patel
Managing Director
CUNYAssistive Technology Services