[bksvol-discuss] Reviewing the Bookshare Manual

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:37:42 -0700

Volunteers,

I am in the process of summarizing your comments and suggestions to date. I
will post the summary for additions and correction as soon as it is compiled.

Today we are more than halfway through the feedback period on the online
scanning and proofing manual. To review what we are looking for and why:

* New users have found the manual daunting.
* Experienced volunteers have in the past encountered content that was
incomplete, outdated, contradictory, or hard to find.
* Some document design solutions that worked for sighted readers were unhelpful
for blind readers and vice versa.

So we have rewritten and restructured Chapter 4 to address these issues and
opened the manual up for your review (even though errors remain in other
chapters.)

Keeping in mind that ease of use for new volunteers was our first goal and that
the manual and other job helps will also be released as .pdf, .rtf, DAISY, and
.brf please keep your comments coming. We have a pretty good description from
all of you of the new navigation headaches we introduced. Observations on
content would be especially helpful at this point.

Yesterday I gave a verbal mid-project update to Bookshare's Product Manager.
She was thrilled to hear how engaged you are in the review and asked me to give
her not only the summary but your comments to share with her engineering team
after we close feedback on Sunday.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department