[bksvol-discuss] Rejection replacement request (The Blacker the Berry Wallace Thurman)

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:52:49 -0700

Hi everyone,

Today I had to reject a book that I thought really would have been a great
addition to the Bookshare collection.  It was called The Blacker the Berry
by Wallace Thurman, Shirlee Taylor Haizlip (Introduction).   I read it
through and really enjoyed it and would love for Bookshare to have it.  It
was really poor quality though, I worked hours on it, but it just wasn't
able to be saved because it appeared to have some missing parts.  I'd love
it if someone would scan this book though as I think it was very good.

I'll paste the synopsis below.

Thanks,
Allison
***
One of the most widely read and controversial works of the Harlem
Renaissance, The Blacker the Berry...was the first novel to openly explore
prejudice within
the Black community. This pioneering novel found a way beyond the bondage of
Blackness in American life to a new meaning in truth and beauty.

Emma Lou Brown's dark complexion is a source of sorrow and humiliation --
not only to herself, but to her lighter-skinned family and friends and to
the
white community of Boise, Idaho, her home-town. As a young woman, Emma
travels to New York's Harlem, hoping to find a safe haven in the Black Mecca
of
the 1920s. Wallace Thurman re-creates this legendary time and place in rich
detail, describing Emma's visits to nightclubs and dance halls and
house-rent
parties, her sex life and her catastrophic love affairs, her dreams and her
disillusions -- and the momentous decision she makes in order to survive.

A lost classic of Black American literature, The Blacker the Berry...is a
compelling portrait of the destructive depth of racial bias in this country.
new introduction by Shirlee Taylor Haizlip, author of The Sweeter the Juice,
highlights the timelessness of the issues of race and skin color in America.

ISBN-13:
9780684815800