[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quotation marks

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:51:14 -0700

If you have access to the hardcopy and can determine what it actually shows, that is naturally the ultimate guide. However, there are some changes that are common as scannos that almost never occur as typos such as die for the (and die for any part of a word with the in it such as diem for them). Others are il ll or li for u, 6 for an e with an accent over it. There are others you get to know with experience. Also, when a chunk of text is involved, rather than just a single word, that is almost always a scanning problem.

Typos are usually misspellings, especially putting in a word that sounds the same but is spelled differently (there for their). Another kind of typo relates to touch typing errors where a key next to the one actually intended is hit (in fact an example of that might be hit instead of hut, i and u being next to each other, at least on standard US keyboards).

Misha

Maureen Pranghofer wrote:
Hi
How can you tell thedifference between a type-o and a scanning error when you are proofreading? If one letter is typed wrong in a word how do you know which it is? By checking the hard copy?
Maureen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Debby Franson" <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>