From: "Charles Wadman" <cewadman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 10:04 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Question to all Bookshare braille readers

I'm about to validate a non-fiction book that's in .brf format.  It appears
to be a faithful rendering of the original text in that it has page numbers
at the bottom of the pages and book-title  and section headers at the top
of each page.

I realize that Bookshare braille readers are probably using refreshable
mechanical braille displays rather than the traditional embossed
paper.  And I'm wondering how this might affect the preferred formatting of
braille books.

Should I reformat this into a standard "textbook" format, Literary format,
or something else? Textbook format retains print page numbers (at the top
right of each braille page and by a page change indicator elsewhere on the
page) and braille page numbers (at the bottom right).

Literary just has braille page numbers (on the top right of each page) and
no print page numbers.

Which format would be more useful to you?  Or is there another format that
you would rather see?  How about running heads? Are these useful to you?

Thanks for whatever advice you may have to offer.

Charlie