[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question re "reading" footnote numbers and quotation marks

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:34:20 -0700

I would like to know this in advance.
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:24 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Question re "reading" footnote numbers and quotation marks

I seem unable to make my meaning/intent clear this
weekend.

If a non-fiction book has copious footnotes, because
the author (perhaps because of the recent news of
well-known and respected authors not crediting their
sources?) quotes a lot and footnotes a lot, would the
casual reader who might be interested in the subject
like to know that in advance of taking the book to
read? There is an extensive bibliography;; the
footnote numbers and the footnotes themselves, which
give the sources for the quoted material, substantiate
the author's research and assure the reader and
scholars that she isn't plagiarizing.

So my question is, shall I take a minute to write in a
review that these exist or is it not enough or a
problem for me not to? For readers/listeners like Dave
and me, I think I should. If the majority of "readers"
are like E, I guess it doesn't matter.

Cindy

--- talmage@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Well I don't do braille if I can avoid it, so
consequently the books
I enjoy are via audible feedback, and as such I can
become annoyed if
there are too many interruption that tend to break
the flow of the text.
Saying that however, I guess I would have to admit,
for anyone doing
research, they would probably find them helpful for
coming up with
associated material.  This situation brings out the
beauty of reading
material like this on the Internet where in lieu of
the footnote
markers links can be used instead.
You may have noticed that I carefully tried to avoid
using the word
reading above, as in the past we've tended to get
into protracted
arguments about whether reviewing an audible book,
or text with
synthesized speech qualifies as reading.

Dave

At 02:17 AM 3/11/2007, you wrote:
>When I upload books after validation I put comments
>for the reader, e.g. "contains dialect," or
"English
>spelling and grammar," or "contains profanity" in
the
>long synopsis. My understanding is comments in the
>comments space at that point just go to the
>administrator, formerly Gustavo.
>
>And one could point such comments in a review,
which
>is what I was thinking of if the constant footnote
>numbers, a hundred or more in each chapter, might
>annoy  a blind reader if hearing them interrupted
the
>flow. Elizabeth says she has no problems with such,
>though, and so far I haven't heard from anyone
else.