[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question in a bilingual children's book

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:05:21 -0700

--
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be
sophisticated, but when you get the two of them together in a way
people can relate to, then I think you're on to something. You want
the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound, the beauty of
the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."-Trumpeter
Chris Botti
--
Chela Robles
AIM and E-Mail: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx

On 7/27/2010 10:27 PM, Estelnalissi wrote:
Dear Valerie, and Booksharian Friends,

It's very considerate of you to ask what the impact of your plan to separate English and Spanish sentences will have on braille readers.

Your plan sounds sleek and logical. It makes the distinction with as little fuss as possible. I read braille so much that as you described your formatting approach, I could imagine the lines passing beneath my fingers, feeling that single asterisk alone on a line between them.

I use three asterisks to separate blocks of text which are separated by the author to show change of scene, time, or point of view. When I show the separation of a letter, poem, sign, or song from the text, I use a single asterisk. I save three asterisks to indicate major changes the author indicates with blank lines, a line, a flourish or even three asterisks!

Quite some time ago there was discussion of how to help a reader focus on the page number after a chapter name in a table of contents. You suggested an ellipsis with a space before and after between the last word of the title and the page number. Evan and I have been formatting contents that way ever since. It is very satisfying when we work out formatting that assists readers with differing needs without causing undue confusion to any group. That's volunteer co-operation and ingenuity at its best.

In terms of book population, our houses sound similar though I haven't made any counts. Evan goes far in scanning my books so I can move them on, but, like you, I appreciate additional scanning help to keep me in books to proofread. I'll also mail books to volunteer scanners, though I don't need them back. I assume libraries or used bookstores or sales can use the books in whatever state they end up. I'll get a match for the book I've sent with my credits at Paperback Swap, or somewhere cheap.

It probably could never happen, but if you ever need proofers for some of your books, I'm always eager to read more, provided I can track down a print copy of the book so I can check the really puzzling canoes with my CACTI. Sometimes the older books are yellowed, making them more difficult to scan, or the margins are so narrow words are cut off or characters inserted for that shadowy groove in the binding.

As frustrating as it is when books disappear from Book list of books I've scanned, I still feel I have more books than time, and I'll enjoy every chance I have to proofread until the opportunity officially disappears.

When I proofread, using the arrow key to move line by line, I read with such absorption, that I'm experiencing the book more completely than ever. It's my job to notice every detail. So, even when my work vanishes from the collection without even a puff of smoke, I still have had the intense pleasure of reading that book, with more absorbed attention than many readers spare when they read. My books are removed from the collection, but they are permanently part of me.

There are days when I feel disgruntled, but I so love the process, that the books, and the people I work with, soon have me back in my contented zone, feeling actively appreciative to have the chance to do what I love.

As you know, I get wordy when I stay up too late so I'm going to bed.

Good luck with your English Spanish book. I may have a lighthearted look at it when you finish. Proofing has certainly improved my acquaintance with several languages. This week, in addition to the usual Irish/Gaelic, there was some Roman. Reading your book I may learn a few more Spanish words than taco, chiwawa, amigo and adios.

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>