[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about Find and editing

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:46:42 -0500

*

        Shelly,

If you'll be using K1K there are several things you can do to accomplish
what you want.  To search for a single letter or a junk char try using the
K1K search and replace feature.  Let's take the letter T or letter I for
example.  You will find both of those quite frequently when using the
Finereader engine for your recognition.

Go to Fine (CTRL+f
Type " T " without the quotation marks.  Make sure that the T is surrounded
by the space char on either side
Tab over to The checkbox that controls case processing and make sure that
you select it.  This will allow you to find exact matches.  But if you'll be
looking for junk chars via this method it might not be a bad idea just to
look for oth cases.  You may choose to do a global find and replace; but I
advise against it.  This may give you more trouble than it's worth it.
Go through each instance, if you're not using a global find and replace, by
pressing the F3 key.  F3 takes you to the next instance of the particular
string occurrence.  (SHFT+F3 takes you in the opposite direction.)
You may also wish to search for "\nT ", " T\n", and the "\t" (the tab char)
as well.

As to finding other junk Chars, you will be surprised how much junk appears
before or after tab chars (\t).  So search for that and delete each place
that you find riddled with junk.  Most While Finereader has resolved some
junk char problems, not all the difficulties have been resolved.  J or j is
a troubling char.  Also you will find that 1 replaces I.  F and H also are
problematic.  Any unusual string of junk chars that contain "<" or > can be
problems.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any trouble or have questions.

Prat

Pratik Patel
Interim Director
Office of Special Services