[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:58:54 -0500

I don't know what it accomplishes for the reader either. I am just repeating what was said on this list once in the past when the question came up. As I understand the rule it goes like this. Books frequently have pages numbered with Roman numerals before the page numbered 1 with Arabic numerals. Most often those pages are numbered with lower case Roman numerals up to the point that Arabic numerals begin. By the way, I have always disliked that and I disliked it back when I was reading print books with my eyes. It has just always seemed fit and proper to me that the first page of a book should be page one. However, that is not how many, many books are numbered. When those preliminary pages are numbered with lower case Roman numerals we are supposed to retain them. If there are no Roman numerals or any other kind of numerals on the pages before the beginning of the Arabic numerals with the Arabic numeral1 we are supposed to number them with lower case Arabic numerals ourselves. On occasion there will be preliminary pages that are numbered with lower case Roman numerals up to Arabic numeral1, but before Roman numeral i there will be even more pages that are not numbered at all. Once before the question of how to number those pages came up on this list. We were instructed to number those prepreliminary pages with capitol Roman numerals I, II, III and so forth up to the page that is numbered with lower case Roman numeral i.

On 11/27/2014 3:18 PM, ohio1803@xxxxx wrote:
*I am wishing for clarification here.*
**
wrote:

    Pages preceding the Roman numeral pages in lower case should be
    numbered with a separate sequence of capitalized Roman numerals.
    **
    *This does not completely make sense to me.*
    *First is it a scanning question, or is it a validator’s question?*
    **
    *Does this mean when you ADD an uppercase Roman numeral?*
    *Or also when you are just moving it from say the bottom to top of
    the page?*
    **
    *I don’t remember hearing about it either.*
    *And I have not noticed it in books as I read them, to hear 2
    roman numerals on a numbered pages.*
    *I would like to hear what this is exactly accomplishing for the
    reader or whatever.*
    **
    *Thanks.*
    *Rik*