[bksvol-discuss] Re: Publishers and Bookshare As a Library

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:13:46 -0600

My favorite was the U.S. Representative (from Wisconsin) who tried to kill the NLS program for the new digital players because, heck, the blind and disabled could just use an iPod so why waste all that money? He actually SAID THAT!

HELLO? That would be the totally unusable iPod? The iPod that relies on a touch screen that you a) can't see and b) doesn't and won't ever have a braille display and c) sure as heck doesn't work with your nose trying to manipulate the screen! (trust me on this one! wink). It requires working hands AND working eyes AND working ears.

Duh.

It's not only companies that forget, it's also the people who are supposed to represent all of their constituents.

I suspect the representative's office now knows me by name and dreads my calls because I've contacted them to chew him out about several things, including the above. grin.

Judy s.

Lynn I wrote:
You've hit the nail on the head, Judy.

I think back to the time when VCRs first came out. I wanted to record the
Young and the Wrestles--my favorite soap at the time. It was quite a
process--making sure to program the VCR in the proper way. I learned though.

A few years later, one manufacturer came out with a VCR that had talking
menus. The only problem was cost (around $900.00), not really affordable.

The point I'm trying to make here is that often manufactures forget that
people who are blind enjoy TV, movies, computer technology, caller ID
phones, and a whole host of other products. They tend to leave us out of the
loop, however. Maybe that isn't all bad--many of us have learned to be quite
resourceful with Braille labelers and using our brains to remember
step-by-step programming procedures. How many more products would be sold if
manufactures realized that people who are blind and/or visually impaired
spend money too? *smile*
Blessings.

Lynnsky