[bksvol-discuss] Re: Publisher Book?

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:29:19 -0400

I recall asking the question on this list about whether different editions of the same book are treated as different books by Bookshare. My concern was that there are some certain books that Bookshare does already have that I know of other editions that have additional material that I think is valuable. I was contemplating scanning such books, but I never did actually get around to it. Scott said that if a book has a different ISBN it was counted as a different book by Bookshare. He went on to cite as at least one reason that a student might be using the book in a class and the teacher might say to turn to a specific page and it would be important that the student would find the same thing on that page that the other students did. I went on to ask if the books in question did not have ISBNs but were still different editions would that qualify them for the status of different books. I never got an answer to that question, but I was only asking it for explicit clarity anyway. I would actually suppose that if different ISBNs count as different books then different editions, whether they have ISBNs or not, would. I would suppose that if a publisher quality book in the collection has a different ISBN than the print copy you have that you can go ahead and scan it. I think it would be good to alert Carrie though. I would put a note in the comments section when submitting that I realize that this title is already in the collection, but I think that it is significantly different to justify inclusion along with the copy that is already there. Personally, I would be hesitant to scan an additional copy of most books that are already in the collection. That is because I think it is more important to contribute books that are not in accessible format rather than slightly different versions of books that are already in accessible format anyway. However, I would not have asked the question if I had not been contemplating just such a thing. One book that I was contemplating scanning, but never got around to, was The Communist Manifesto. At the time I asked the question I noted that Bookshare had just one edition. I had in mind another edition that Contains introductory material that I do think is very significantly different and would very much justify an additional copy in the collection. I just now did a search of the collection and note that it now contains at least three editions and the one I have in mind is still not one of them. So I might yet get around to scanning it and would have already if I had a copy on hand. Now, there is one thing I do not understand. If a publisher quality book is an ebook from the very start then that is a very significant difference from a print edition. The difference is certainly greater than just a slightly different size of font or slightly different numeration of pages. However, I have an account at Good Reads and when I post that I am reading a book I want the edition that I am reading to match as closely as possible the entry on Good Reads. The easiest way to do that is to search by ISBN if there is an ISBN. By doing that I have discovered that at least some of these publisher quality books have an ISBN that matches a print version. If each form of a book is supposed to have its ownISBN I do not see how this can be.

On 3/17/2012 11:59 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
I was of the understanding we could not submit books that are already in PQ. Or, is that only of identical ISBN? I had heard industry mutterings that they might be starting to list page equivalencies, or what specifically the hard cover or paperback copy were in length.

With more and more PQ books in the collection, I hope they add DAISY navigation to the Read: OutLoud Bookshare Edition since you won't be able to search by page number if moving from one device to another...
Valerie

Bookshare: Bringing Reading to Life for 10 Years
http://www.bookshare.org/

                *From:* Regina Alvarado <regina.alvarado6@xxxxxxxxx>