[bksvol-discuss] Re: Protecting chapter heading frustration

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:02:55 -0800 (PST)

The problem is that when the numbers are at the top of the page, they get
deleted. Should I still put them at the top of the page? You are right, it is
easier when they are at the top of the page because then I don't have to scroll
down the entire page to find the number which will tell me if the flagged word
is on that page. Let me know what you want me to do and I will do it for my
next scan. Thanks!

  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

  Barbara

Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Mayrie,

After Lissi commented recently that having the page
numbers at the top of the page helps blind people a
lot because they don't have to fo searching for the
page number, I've been moving all the page numbers to
the top of the page when I validate. Before, I only
moved the number for the first page of the chapter
when it was at the bottom and all the other numbers
were at the top of the page.

I think where the page numbers are is where the
publisher or printer decides to put them and doesn't
have anything to do with the author's intent or
his/her copyright. Likewise, probably, the blank page
at the end of a chapter when the text ends on a
right-hand page rather than a left-hand page. Some
publishers seem to want to start all chapters on the
right-hand page (facing the reader). Those blank pages
usually have to be numbered to retain the pagination
sequence, and it seems stupid to me, because if the
chapter itself ends on the left-hand page here is no
blank page. Who cares? In some books, the publisher
doesn't care on what page the new chapter starts.

G.Cindy

--- Mayrie ReNae wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I scan a lot of books whose page numbers appear at
> the bottom of
> pages. No matter what I place above the chapter
> headings to protect
> them, any validator not on this list will not know
> that that inserted
> text needs to remain in the book in order to protect
> chapter
> headings. I write in the comments field of the
> submission form a
> note requesting that this seemingly extraneous text
> not be removed in
> order to make sure that chapter headings will not be
>
> lost. Unfortunately, I never know until after the
> book is accepted
> into the collection whether this request has been
> honoured. I find
> it very frustrating to have my careful work trashed.
> And I am VERY
> careful with my scans.
>
> As I see it, I can move all page numbers to the
> tops of pages, but
> that is technically altering the text of the book.
> And it takes time
> that doesn't need to be spent.
>
> This issue is not mentioned at all in the volunteer
> manual, which
> I'm not even convinced that all volunteers read.
> Does anyone have
> any ideas about how to assure that chapter headings
> will remain protected?
>

> Peace,
> Mayrie

> line. To get a list of available commands, put the

at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

Barbara