[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proposing the Creation of a Validation Starter Kit

Hi All,
First, my sincere thanks to all of you who weighed in on this subject.  This
was just the sort of discussion I was hoping for.

Allison, Shane and others, I appreciate your pointing out that this could be
overwhelming to some.  I had honestly meant to write in the first few
sentences that I saw this as an optional step for validators.  I just
started typing and forgot to go back and put that in.

What I Propose to do Next:
If I'm reading this correctly, as long as the tutorial (thank you, Ann P,)
isn't required no one is violently opposed to such a thing.  So, I'm going
to start working on it.  Thank you Monica W. for pointing out the wisdom of
using a public domain book for the exercise.  Also for the great idea of
letting others know a tutorial exists via the welcome message they receive
from Bookshare.  Will you, Mayrie ReNae, Jim Pardee and others of you who
don't mind sharing please send me any tips and tricks you have around
validation.  I don't mind getting multiple copies of the same thing, and
this will avoid the "bystander apathy" aspect where everyone thinks someone
else has done it.  Also, a person pointed out that it would be very helpful
to have information around using note takers, such as the BrailleNote,  when
validating.  I use Word so would appreciate any information anyone is
willing to share on this topic, and I will include it in the tutorial.  Once
I have the packet together I will approach someone with Bookshare and see If
this can be posted, both as one "kit" and as separate parts, (thanks Bob,
Stacey  and Susan for this idea) hopefully on friendsofbookshare.org as well
as Jake's site.  If the answer is "no", well then I've learned a lot myself
and no problem.

Personal notes:
Thanks, Amber, Stacey with dog Chesley and others who felt something like
this might be helpful to them.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one who
found validating a little daunting at first.  It's great to have a volunteer
force made up of such versatile personalities.  The world would be a very
boring and different place if this were not true.

Ann P, I'm familiar with your work both with Bookshare as well as in other
realms, and you NEVER do a "bumbling" job; always excellent!  Thanks for
making me smile and feel better, as well as helping me explain the idea.

Monica W., again thank you for your excellent points as well as for pointing
out that validation isn't always a quick process.  It definitely depends on
the scan.  The book I was working on had quite a few errors.  However,
scanners, I don't think this is necessarily your job to clean up your scans.
My volunteer validating would know longer be necessary, and as others
expressed, it does feel good to try and give something back to an
organization that has given so much to me.

Lori C., Grandma Cindy, and others: thanks for the warm welcome to the list
as well as for the suggestions around how you handle validation!  I have
noticed I'm not the only Cindy around.  Wow, Cindy number 4; I could be
Cynthia if that would help <smile>.

Congrats to Stacie, Marcus W. and others who have completed their first
validation.  I will definitely celebrate on list when mine is complete!  I
raise my bottled water in a toast to you all!

Again, thank you to all for your valuable input, and I look forward to
getting started on this project, so please send any helpful info my way.

Best Regards,
Cindy, AKA Cynthia,  Warford
Cindy_warford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Success is loving life and daring to live it".
- Maya Angelou