[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proposing the Creation of a Validation Starter Kit

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:01:35 -0400

Hi, Shane. If all submitters were as careful as you are, what you're saying would be true. However, I would say that at least 60 percent of the books I've validated recently have not been cleaned up, not even a little. While we do have several volunteers who diligently clean their scans and proofread them before submission, these people are the exception, not the rule. Until that changes, validation will require more work than fixing minor errors and page numbers. While brand new validaters might be overwhelmed if the kit were sent as soon as they sign up, I do think there is a place for such a kit once a person feels more sure of the Bookshare system. Having practice documents would help them learn to spot errors and learn how to fix them quickly, without pulling their hair out. (smile) Who knows, Maybe a kit like this might show submitters how to clean up their scans before submission. Hey, a girl can hope, right?

Monica Willyard

Shane Christenson wrote:
Hi. I agree. Validating isn't supposed to be an intimidating, daunting or overwelming task. If a scanner has done his/her job well, validation should only be a matter of making sure page numbers are present, possibly removing unnecessary headers, and being able to catch a minor spelling/scanning error here and there.

Shane