[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreading Software

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:44:54 -0500

Hi Misha!

Thanks for telling us about your experiences with Jarte. There is a screen reader mode, but that doesn't help with the announcing of page breaks, and, like you, I have found that the software seems too bare bones.

Debby

At 11:50 PM 3/29/2010, Mike wrote
I've recently been using Jarte to clean up scans. I cannot say anything about how it works with screen readers since I am sighted (sort of). So far, I would say it is not quite ready to be used as the sole proofreading software. The good and bad of Jarte is that it eliminates all special characters and extra formatting that Word, and at least my OCR program, put in.

My OCR program (Omnipage) puts in section breaks, rather than page breaks. Jarte eliminates the section breaks, so they cannot be converted to page breaks. Actually, Jarte doesn't handle any special characters such as page break, paragraph mark, or tab in find and replace. I couldn't replace quote space quote with quote paragraph mark quote for example. I couldn't even get it to reliably (it did work sometimes but not often) replace an em dash with double hyphens.

One of the good things about Jarte not recognizing special characters, it strips out optional hyphens, so I didn't have to try to do that. And Jarte definitely reduces the size of rtf files compared to Word. This stripping of extra formatting does not affect the features like bold, italics, underline, font name, font size, or centering that the bookshare tools recognize (and in the case of font size, use in making navigation tags).

Jarte is fairly easy to use, though many parts of the user interface are different from most Windows programs. For me, the icons used in the default interface are just too small to tell what they are supposed to represent. However, a simple change in options sets it to a more traditional (the option is called "classic"), interface. The menus are often several levels deep, but there are lots of keyboard shortcuts.

I will submit the book Earthworks by Brian Aldiss which I mostly cleaned up in Jarte, tomorrow (but as I mentioned above, some things had to be done in Word).

Misha

Debby Franson wrote:
Hi Andromache!

The free version of Jarte didn't announce page breaks with Window-Eyes. I think this was one I tried when I was trying so many word processors. I had to install it again to be sore.

Debby

At 09:46 PM 3/23/2010, Andromache wrote
I just wanted to report that Jarte is accessible to screen readers, allows for page break insertion, and is free. :) It's basically a diluxe version of WordPad, without all the bloat of MS Word. Page breaks are also announced, at least by NVDA.

So I'm very happy. I found a solution that won't cost me anything. Just thought others might be interested. I should also mention that Jarte does all the essentials, like text formatting, attribute changing, insertion of tables, customized tab stops, etc. One feature that really stood out is Hot Connect, where you can have your browser open to fill out forms, edit text in Jarte, save changes, and have the text automatically copied to the other program's window.

In other news, my new scanner has just arrived. So I'm all set. Off to start proofing.

Andromache

On 3/22/2010 8:46 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi there,

Unfortunately, you do need software that will recognize, preserve, and
announce page breaks.  From what I know, and I don't use NVDA but JAWS, the
two pieces of software best able to do what you need to do when proofreading
are either Word, or Kurzweil 1000.

Sorry to tell you what may be inconvenient news.

But happy proofreading!

Mayrie