[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreading Software

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:37:32 -0700

OK, I downloaded Jarte and opened one of the books I am scanning. I looked at the first few pages fairly carefully and skimmed the rest. As far as I can tell, all the formatting that I want in there and that I know bookshare would like to have in there is correct. So, I saved a copy in Jarte. The Jarte copy is half the size of the Word version. I am not really blaming all the bloat on Word. I use Omnipage for OCR, but through the "acquire text" feature in Word (because the user interface in Omnipage is completely opaque to me) and I am pretty sure that in an effort to format the page like what is scanned, Omnipage puts many format changes in as Word "styles." Then I come in and change the formatting to be more uniform and Word does not eliminate the old styles, but creates new ones in the form "old style+make all text times new roman 12 point." Jarte, not caring about styles, cleans that all out and leaves only actual changes in font, italics, bold and so on (as I would think Word would do, but no).

I'm going to try scanning into Word, then doing the cleanup in Jarte and see how it goes (I'd pay Jarte money to have the acquire text feature). And, the real test will be if bookshare accepts the the book.

Hmmm, where is a short book to try, I been into doing so many long books lately, but I'd really like to see whether this works relatively soon.

Earthworks by Brian Aldiss, 128 pages. Africa is the last frontier...in a starving and overpopulated world. A world gone dry. A world of horror where literacy and thought are for machines only. Where cities are behives built on stilts to protect them from the chemicals which grow crops. Where penal institutions are collective farms. Where petty infractions condemn men to work for the rest of their lives alongside robots tilling the dead soil. The world is a place where corpses stalk the earth, for there is no longer room in the ground. Africa is the last hope...

Not very cheery, but it is short (compared to the 750 page book that the phrase "Rackin' threes" that I mentioned in another email comes from).

Misha