[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreader's Checklist -- send me your ideas

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:46:49 EDT

I didn't necessarily know that they were called optional hyphens, but what I
think you are saying is that they are the hyphens that occur at the end of a
line to indicate that the word is continued on the next line. Those have to be
eliminated by the submitter or the proofreader as far as I am concerned. Even
worse are the ones that appear at the end of a page.

                  "Philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various
ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreader's Checklist -- send me your ideas
Date:
3/15/2009 8:58:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi Denise,

    I think the optional hyphen is the hyphen that appears at the end of
a line of text in the print book, but since when you OCR the lines aren't
the same length as they were in the printed book necessarily, those
remaining hyphens from the printed text in the book are optional.  Does that
make sense?  I feel like I've botched that description somehow.

Mayrie