[bksvol-discuss] Proofreader's Checklist -- send me your ideas

  • From: "Denise Wagner" <denisecwagner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:09:49 -0400

Hi everyone!

I had an idea while I was writing my soapbox speech *grin*.  I will make a
Proofreader's Checklist that we can publish somewhere to guide the proofreaders
in their work.  I'm already doing something similar to that for myself, so it
shouldn't be too difficult to widen the scope.  Send me your pet peaves, your
ideas, your suggestions, your "I just saw a book that had this problem..." and
let me know what we should let proofreaders know!

Some good examples are the emdash should be 2 endashes, and there should be a
blank line after the page break, then the page number, then the blank line,
then the text.  Things like these are invaluable!

I scan with ScanTo Office and I proof in Microsoft Word, so I'm not familiar
with any other software anyone may be using.  If a suggestion is specific to a
particular software, just let me know.  I know FineReader is probably similar
to ScanTo Office because they are made by the same company (just an
intellectual leap).

Denise