[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofing: Many Questions

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:35:58 -0600

Hi Mary,

I tried this experiment using both OBX and ARK files.  Within OpenBook, the
only place I get blank lines is in blank spaces--where we in Bookshare put in
asterisks.  So apparently the paragraphs are stripped before conversion to RTF
or DOC!  In the front-of-book material, paragraphs are indicated with a blank
line between, for example, the warning about books sold fraudulently, the ISBN,
and the copyright information.  But in the text itself, text is presented, on
screen and in audio, without paragraph breaks.

I tried, as you suggested, lifting text in its native format from OpenBook into
a Word file.  That doesn't help, since the paragraphs are gone before the text
is converted.  And I would have to lift the text one page at a time, inserting
the page breaks myself in the Word file.  Not worth it!

I can't find, in my menus, settings for doing anything by paragraph.  I think
I'll work on switching to Kurzweil--but I'd sure like to solve this issue!

Thanks for the suggestions--everyone!

Sandi