[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proof reading with Victor Stream

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:46:56 -0400

Hi Mary Anne,

RE your first comment, I believe that the TTS is trying to differentiate
between the letter I and the roman numeral 1 that is represented by the
letter I based on context, and certain contexts are causing it to pronounce
it as the number one. It's similar to the word "read". In the sentence, "I
like to read.", the TTS I am using pronounced the word as "reed", but in the
sentence, "I read that book yesterday.", my TTS correctly pronounced that
word in the past tense as "red". While this is useful, it can be incorrect
at times, such as in your case; another is that the TTS I use with Kurzweil
1000, when it's telling me a file name is located in a certain folder, will
say "inches" rather "in" if the file name ends in a number because context
seems to indicate that "in" could be an abbreviation for inches when it
follows a number. This is a feature of Nuance Vocalizer, and it might be
correct in some instances--I don't own a Stream, so I don't have experience
with Vocalizer Mobile--but it's something you can't change.

RE your second point, you can't use those bookmarks on the PC. What I think
that people who validate on devices like Streams or Book Ports do--I'm not
speaking for myself, since I don't have either, and I'm not intending to
speak for those people, just making a guess, so if I'm wrong, someone don't
hesitate to correct me--is to bookmark those erroneous parts of the text on
the Stream itself as you're doing, then have a separate copy of that file on
their PC in to which they will make the corrections. So, with Stream in hand
while in front of PC, I would think they go to a bookmarked position in the
copy of the book that resides on the Stream, then on the computer, search
for some text with a Find command to find the spot in question in the
separate copy of the book which they have present on their PC, edit it, go
to the next bookmark on the Stream, use Find again, etc.

HTH,
Maria