[bksvol-discuss] Re: Problem with Open Book

  • From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:21:17 -0400

Roger
Let me tell you that there is no way to stop OB from putting the paragraph marks at the end of every line. I also use OB. I'm using 8.0 plus. Having said that, though. I can tell you how to get rid of them and end up with a perfectly good scan without the problem. I create my scanns as RTF files right from the beginning, but the issue is still there so forget that as a solution. The solution is in pulling the book up in word when you're done and using a formula that gets rid of the extra paragraphs marks and leaves the ones that are supposed to be there. Email me directly and I'll send you my phone number. I can email you the formula, but it'll probably make it easier to talk by phone as well. If you do it in a wrong order, you get rid of all paragraphs and believe me having done that in my quest to resolve this issue, if that happens you've jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Putting paragraphs back in is a long a tedious job which means you might as well rescan the book. My email is
deniset@xxxxxxx
Denise

At 08:05 PM 4/6/2010, you wrote:
Some of you will remember that quite some time ago I had a problem with my Open Book 6 such that it was inserting paragraph breaks after every single line in my scans. After getting various suggestions on how to stop it and after none of them worked I finally gave up and just submitted them that way while placing a note in the comments section asking the proofreader to remove them. Since last night and into today I have been in telephone and email contact with both Bookshare and Freedom Scientific technical support. What it comes down to is that my solution is no longer exceptable. A lot of proofreaders have the same problem that I have in not having the software or expertise that allows those breaks to be easily removed and others either do not understand the problem or do not read the comments and submit what they think is a perfectly good proofed book and it has to be sent back. Even when a proofer uses the 27 step process described in the manual, that is not an ideal solution either. I have been told that for one thing it is an advanced technique that is beyond some proofers and for another thing it really only removes maybe 80 to 90 per cent of the unwanted breaks. What it comes down to is that I am going to have to solve the problem by either upgrading my software -- an expensive prospect that I would like to avoid -- or find a solution within my current software or else quit scanning and go back to proofreading. Even if it is a bit more work I prefer scanning because that way I am more likely to get to work on something I am actually interested in. When I skim the checkout list it is clear that most of you do not entirely share my tastes. Right now I would like to ask a couple of questions. First, since people come and go here I want to ask if there is anyone present now who knows how to make Open Book stop this. I doubt that I will get a satisfactory answer to that one because Freedom Scientific technical support today knew of no such settings either. Secondly, let me describe the next step that I have worked out with a certain Bookshare employee. The next step is that I should scan something in RTF rather than ARK and converting it. Now, once, a long time ago, I had the idea that since I had to convert it to RTF anyway I would just scan it that way in the first place. There was some kind of problem with that which I don't remember, but whatever it was I decided that it wouldn't work. Now I am trying again and I don't remember how. I went into my settings and changed the default format to RTF and then I created a new blank document, but when I looked at it it had an ARK extension. I went ahead and scanned a few pages into it and they still had the line break problem. I then converted it to RTF and it still had the line break problem. I then created a new document that turned out to have an ARK extension too and converted it to RTF while there was nothing in it. I then had a blank document with an RTF extension. I scanned a few pages into that and it still had the same problem. The guy at Bookshare said that he didn't really think that constituted scanning in RTF, so he asked me to ask the list how I could scan in RTF. Once I do so I am supposed to email the result to him. So, does anyone know how to do that? And let me add one more question. How much does it cost to upgrade to the latest version of Open Book and, if I went for Kurzweil instead, how much would they cost if I already have Open Book 6? I would hate to go that route because, even though I have added a few reasons for volunteering since I started, including that I just enjoy it, the main reason for becoming a volunteer in the first place was to accumulate credits and defray the cost of a subscription. I really don't have a lot of money to play with.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
Stephen Roberts

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: