[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pictures on unnumbered pages

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:44:55 -0800 (PST)

No please, don't omit unnumbered pages! It throws the page numbering off.
Please keep the blank pages, put a page number on them, and either [blank page]
or a description of the image. Here's a section from the Volunteer manual:

Do Not Remove Blank Pages If Page Numbering Will Be Affected
Blank pages are often found in the following places in books:
        * After the Table of Contents
        * After the Dedication
        * After the Acknowledgments
        * After pages which identify a section of the book as Part I, Part II,
etc.
        * Between chapters
        * Before the Glossary
        * Before the Index
        * Before the appendices
Blank pages should only be removed if doing so does not affect a
book's page numbering. For example, it is sometimes obvious that a
blank page is page 85 because the page before it is numbered 84 and the
page after it is numbered 86. In this instance, the blank page should
not be removed, and it may be helpful to add the page number to the
page to help prevent it from accidentally being lost when converting
the file to a different format, accidentally being removed by a
volunteer during proofreading, mis-numbered by the tool which processes
page numbers for DAISY books, or by the tool responsible for
identifying original page numbers in BRF books.
Note that books often begin numbering pages with the first page of
the main content, but page numbering can also begin with the first page
of a book. When numbering begins with the first page of the book, then
blank pages should be included in the front of the book to preserve
page numbering.
Some books will have photos, advertisements, or other material in
the middle of the book. Remove these pages only if they do not disrupt
the page numbers. Many times the pages on each side of the material
will be sequential (for example, page 112, six pages, page 113). In
this case, please remove the pages from the scan to preserve page
numbering.
Thanks! Carrie