[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?

  • From: Megmil85@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:56:45 EDT

I think I have figured out something. You know when you enter the the ISBN
on Bookshare and it fills out the info for you? It shows 171 pages. If you
number each page starting at the beginning front matter, there would be 171
 pages! So, I'm going to do it that way since Bookshare says there's 171
pages  and that's what I get if I include every single page including front
and end  matter and blank pages. I'll just start putting page numbers on where
the text  starts which is on page 9. So, I'll leave the first 8 pages, the
front matter  and blank page without numbers and start with putting a 9 on
the 9th page where  the text of the book starts. I'll explain in the comments
section.
Megan

In a message dated 6/2/2009 5:43:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx writes:

As long as you want feedback here is my feedback. It has  always bugged me,
even back when I was reading books in print and had never  even thought of
the technology I am now using to read, that books would start  their page
numbering on some page other than the first page. After all, aren't  those
pages before page one pages too? There is nothing, however, that I could  ever
do about it. In the case of a book that has no indication of where the  page
numbering begins, though, it seems to me that is an opportunity to do
something. In a case like that I would be in favor of starting page one on  page
one. For one thing, that would illiminate the distraction of Open Book
announcing one page while the book it is reading announces another page. It
would also illiminate having to keep in mind how many pages Open Book and the
book are out of sinc so that I can do the math every time I am inserting a
page.

"I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is
alienating... because it causes war, hypocrisy and competition." Fidel  Castro

The Militant: _http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml  _
(http://wwww.themilitant.com/) Pathfinder Press:
_http://www.pathfinderpress.com_
(http://www.pathfinderpress.com/)
Granma  International: _http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html_
(http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html)
_

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss]  Re: Page numbers?
Date:
6/2/2009 6:11:48 PM  Eastern Daylight  Time
From:
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent  from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Great question Lori.

Let me try and clarify:

In some instances there are page  numbers in the original text but these
numbers just don’t scan. In such cases,  if the proofreader has access to
information
on where the numbering starts,  via the volunteer who scanned the book or
another source then he/she should  follow that numbering system.

However, in cases where there are  no page numbers in the scanned file and
when either the proofreader has no way  of obtaining information regarding
numbering
in the original text or when  there are actually no page numbers in the
original text then Bookshare  guidelines recommend starting page number one with
the main content of the  book.

Basically we would like to have a standardized  guideline for inserting
page numbers in such cases. That said, we are not  attached to this particular
approach,
and if it makes more sense to have  volunteers start page number one with
the very first page of the book rather  than use roman numerals for
pre-chapter
1 pages then we can rewrite the  guideline accordingly before finalizing it
for the manual. Please let me know  what you think (and others please chime
in
if you have  feedback).

All good things,

Pavi

Pavi  Mehta

Volunteer Coordinator,  Bookshare

Benetech

480 S. California Ave., Suite  201

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609 USA

Phone:  +1 650  644-3459

pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx

www.benetech.org

The  Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity

A Nonprofit  Organization

.