[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page breaks

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:09:09 -0500

Thought this article might be of interest for those searching around for a text editor.
I downloaded EditPad Lite to give it a try to see how it handles page breaks.
Unfortunately, while NoteTab Light won't allow you to see or manipulate page breaks, it fortunately also won't eat them. Its big brother NoteTab Pro however, as previously mentioned on this list, will allow you to both see and manipulate page breaks.

Dave

Killer Downloads: Get a free, feature-packed text editor
www.zdnet

AnchorDesk

Get a free, feature-packed text editor

Jason Parker

Contributing Editor, Downloads
Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Every computer user needs a basic text editor. That's why Windows comes with Notepad and Mac OS X comes with TextEdit. But these apps come in handy for
more than just looking at read-me files. They also work great for writing quick notes, keeping a journal, coding Web sites, and pasting excerpts from the
Web when doing research.

While Notepad and TextEdit are useful, if I want added features, such as a tabbed interface or extras that help me with coding simple HTML, I look for more
full-featured text editors. Some are available for free, while others are junior versions of big-name text editors that give you a lot of features but
don't require a registration fee. Though the full versions are excellent apps, I have found that I can easily get by using free or lite versions.

Here are my current favorites for editing text, taking notes, and a million other uses that give you a lot more than what comes loaded on your system--without
making you pay through the nose.

EditPad Lite
is the slimmest of the bunch but still offers a lot more than preloaded text editors. This one has a sleek tabbed interface, a great text-wrapping feature,
and excellent search-and-replace tools. (Free/Windows)

NoteTab Light
also has a tabbed interface but adds a little more punch than EditPad by giving you several libraries of premade clips. These clips can be anything from
commonly used code to quick formatting tools that are available at a click. This is my favorite of the bunch, and I recommend it highly.(Free/Windows)

TextWrangler
for Mac OS X is the little brother of BBEdit, an old favorite of mine that I've used for formatting newsletters, crunching code, and much more. It offers
all the text-processing power of its big brother but is geared more toward the average user. Even better, it has now recently become free.

If you're in the market for a professional text editor, each of these apps has a feature-packed big brother (full version). But like me, you may find that
you need just a few more features than your preloaded text software offers.

Software Publisher's Description

EditPad Lite is a convenient text editor and Notepad replacement. It has all the features a solid text editor needs. You can open as many files at a time
as you want, with no arbitrary file size limit. Each file will have its own tab. You can convert between ANSI, ASCII, and Unicode, and work with Unix and
Mac files. You can search and replace across all open files. It has unlimited undo and redo and powerful print preview.

[NoteTab Light description not included as we've already discussed this one fairly extensively]

Software Publisher's Description

TextWrangler is a powerful and richly-featured tool for composing, modifying, and transforming text stored in plain-text files. Features include: Flexible
'grep' style pattern-based search and replace based on PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression), comprehensive OSA (AppleScript) support, syntax coloring
and function navigation for Perl, Python, Java, ANSI C, C++, Objective-C, and more, sort Lines and Process Duplicate Lines plug-ins offer grep pattern
support for sorting, extracting, and handling text, ability to integrate TextWrangler with Unix tools and scripts on Mac OS X, by means of the "edit" command-line
tool, and extensive FTP support.