[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page breaks

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:40:09 -0600

Hi Andrew,
When it comes to page breaks, we're kind of in a transition right now. Books
without page breaks pose a serious difficulty in navigation, especially in
the Daisy version. Therefore, after March Bookshare will no longer be
accepting files without page breaks. Many, though not all, of the books that
have this issue are .txt files. Many editors, Microsoft Word for example, do
not handle page breaks correctly in txt files. Even if a textfile has page
breaks, if you open it in Word, do something to the file, and resave, the
page breaks will be gone. Editors that do handle page breaks correctly
include NoteTab, which is a feature-packed text editor that does have a free
version, Kurzweil, and presumably Openbook though I don't know that for
sure.
May I ask what format the book you were working on is in, and what you're
planning to use to do your editing? That way whoever is using the same thing
can answer specific questions.
Ok, are you confused yet? <grin> If you want more answers just ask away. If
I've just given you a bad case of information overload, maybe someone else
can explain better. <grin>
Kellie